Sunday, February 19, 2012

Homemade Granola

It all started when I bought my first bag of granola from Baked & Wired. They call their "homegrown" granola "Hippie Crack," and for a good reason. I became addicted after the first bite. In fact, it was SO addicting that it soon became too expensive and too time consuming to keep a fresh supply of "crack" as fast as we were consuming it. 

This is all it took to inspire my own attempt to make the granola. After a little research, I came up with what I thought might do the trick. Over the past few months I've been tweaking and refining my recipe, and I'm happy to announce that it is finally ready to share with the world!

Terra’s Homemade Granola 
    
Ingredients:
5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup raw honey
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract 
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup unsweetened coconut shavings
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
                               
Directions:
1. In a large pot, over low heat, melt together a half cup coconut oil, a half cup raw honey, and two tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice.                  
2. Turn off the heat and add the rolled oats. Stir well. Cover the pot with a lid and let it sit overnight. 
3. Preheat oven to 350°. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract to oats and stir well. Then stir in 1 cup chopped pecans, 1 cup slivered almonds, 1 cup of chopped walnuts, and 1 cup unsweetened coconut shavings
4. Spread granola evenly on to two sheet pans. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until granola is golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes until done.
5. Transfer granola to large mixing bowl. Mix in dried fruit, and enjoy! 





I have to admit that I'm actually more addicted to my very own homemade (or shall I say homegrown) granola than the "Hippie Crack" from Baked & Wired. It may sound crazy, I know... So, the only way to know if you like this granola recipe as much as I do, is to try it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment